The X-3 made its first test flight at Edwards AFB, California, on October 20, 1952, and flew supersonically in June 1953. Unlike the X-1, X-2, and X-15 which were released in mid-air from a "mother plane," the X-3 operated in a more conventional manner by taking off from the ground. Engein development difficulties forced the use of lower powered engines than originally planned, prohibiting the X-3 from achieving its design potential. However, data gained from the X-3 program was of great benefit in the development of the F-104, X-15, SR-71, and other high performance aircraft.
The X-3 was transferred to the USAF Museum in 1956.
|Previous series||Back to main index||Next series|