Launch Report

Date: 26 March 1995

Time: mid-afternoon

Location: Mustang Spaceport (OK, it was my parents' front yard...)

Weather conditions: cloudy

Temperature: upper 60s

Wind: < 5mph

			flights in order
		rockets:		engines:
		Vaughn Bros. Spudnik	A3-4T
		Quest HL-20		B6-2
		Estes Skywinder		B6-2
		Quest DC-Y		C5-3
		Estes CATO		B6-0
		Estes Skywinder		C5-3
		Vaughn Bros. Spudnik	A10-3T
		Estes CATO		B6-0
		Quest DC-Y		C5-3


The Spudnik landed outside of the primary recovery area (i.e., it landed across the fence in a cow pasture)... the change in engine didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in the flight. I wonder if one can CHAD stage this thing?

The HL-20 was flying its fourth flight. I hoped I had finally trimmed it so it wouldn't "Steve Austin" into the ground again like it had on its first three flights. However, the boost portion of the flight was less than optimal... it took off almost due south at a forty-five degree angle... the engine ejected and it actually glided... right into the upper limbs of an oak tree. Argh! Now I'll have to build another one, as all recovery attempts failed. I think one of the problems with the boost phase is that the launch lug is not parallel to the thrust vector. I may try a through-the-shroud lug on the next one... I don't think that a lug-sized hole in the front will affect the glide characteristics all that much.

The Skywinder was pretty neat. Both times it nosed over and spun right down. By this time the spectators (my parents, brother, sisters and nephews) were saying, "Don't you have anything with a parachute in it?"

Enter the DC-Y: great flight on a C5-3 CATOmeister. This is now my w.g. of choice for this model (I like living on the edge...). Apparently I haven't learned to properly pack a parachute: the bottom chute was fused into a lump of plastic by the ejection charge (yes, I used wadding!) and tangled with the nose cone chute. Luckily, it returned to the primary landing sight and was retrieved by aerial capture before it smacked into the ground.

Next up was the CATO. Of course, for maximum effect I didn't say anything except, "Here's another rocket." Nice response from the 'crowd' when it fell apart in mid-air. It _is_ a pain to reassemble for reflight, though.

The final flight was the the DC-Y again. No fused chute, although the nose cone parachute got tangled with the shock cord and the whole mass came down on the main parachute. It landed outside of the primary recovery area with no damage. I'm going to quit packing the nose cone chute below the main chute. The kevlar cord on the main chute severed the shroud lines of the nose cose chute. The first few times I flew this rocket, I didn't have any problem with this arrangement...

Unfortunately, it was too overcast to fly the Astrocam. Maybe next time...

Sven Knudson, NAR#63297