Two X-5s were built and flown. X-5 number one made its first flight on June 20, 1951. On its ninth flight, the wings were operated through the full sweep range of 20 to 60 degrees. Number one flew a total of 133 test flights, the last being on October 25, 1955, with civilian test pilot Neil A. Armstrong at the controls. The second X-5 built was destroyed during a test flight on October 13, 1953, when it failed torecover from a spin at 60 degrees sweepback.
The number one X-5 was delivered to the U.S. Air Force Museum in March 1958. It was restored by Museum personnel, and placed on display in September 1994.
For a report on the X-5, please see the web page at:
|Previous series||Back to main index||Next series|